Current Size: 100%
To ensure fairness, Home Forward has a three-step procedure for you to dispute decisions about your lease agreement or housing regulations.
The steps below summarize our grievance process. For the complete text of our grievance procedure, please read the document titled Grievance Procedure for Public Housing Residents, available in English and Spanish.
- You present your grievance to Home Forward, either verbally or in writing.
- The resident must personally present the grievance (either verbally or in writing) to Home Forward within 14 days of the disputed action or inaction.
- In cases of eviction, the resident has 14 days from the date of the termination notice to present a grievance. The only exception is when there is a 24- hour non-remedy eviction.
- Your property manager will schedule an informal conference with you to try to resolve the issue. Within a reasonable time after the conference, Home Forward will give the resident a written summary of the conference discussion, including the proposed resolution.
- If you are not satisfied with the resolution, you can request a formal hearing.
- If the resident is not satisfied with the results of the informal conference, s/he has the right to a hearing before an impartial hearing officer/panel. The exception is when there is a 24-hour non-remedy eviction.
- The resident must submit a written request for a hearing to the appropriate Home Forward office within seven days after receiving the summary of the informal settlement conference. The hearing officer/panel will then schedule the hearing.
- The resident has the right to:
- Before the hearing, examine any relevant Home Forward documents.
- Be represented by counsel or another representative at the hearing.
- Have a private hearing, unless s/he requests a public hearing.
- Present evidence and arguments.
- The hearing officer/panel will prepare a written decision, together with the reasons for the decision, within a reasonable time after the hearing.