Reporting Household Changes

One of your most important responsibilities is to report to Home Forward certain changes in your income or in the size of your household.

You are required to report changes within 10 working days. All forms for reporting changes are available for download from this page, or from your Service Coordinator, or by visiting the Home Forward Section 8 office.  You can download a form, fill it out electronically, and then upload the completed form using Home Forward's Form Library.

Always check to make sure each form is signed and dated by all adults in the household, and submit your forms to Home Forward’s Section 8 office. For your rent to be adjusted next month, all of your completed forms must be submitted before the 15th of the current month.

For more information, call us at (503) 802-8333, option 4.

Changes in Household Income

There are different steps to follow depending on whether your household income increases or decreases.  Please follow the steps outlined below for each situation.

If Your Household Income Increases

When a household has no income, any new income for a household member must be reported within 10 business days of the change.  Click here for a flyer with examples of when you are required to report increases to your incomes.  Here are the steps to follow: 

  1. Complete form "Reporting a Household Income Increase"
  2. To report a new job, have the employer complete form V-1 "Verification of Employment Status"
  3. For any other new income, attach verification of the new income

If Your Household Income Decreases 

A decrease can be reported at any time but must be reported by the 15th of any month to have a change in rent considered for the following month. The decrease in income has to have happened, last for more than 45 days from the time of reporting, and result in an overall decrease in current household income.  Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Complete form "Reporting a Household Income Decrease"
  2. To report changes in employment status, have the employer complete form V-1 "Verification of Employment Status"
  3. To report decreases in other types of income sources, attach verification of the decreased income
  4. If the adult reporting a decrease in income now has zero income, complete form P-29 "Statement of Zero Income" 

If Someone Leaves Your Household

  1. Complete form P-40 "Reporting Someone Has Left Your Household"
  2. Complete form "Recertification Statement

If You Have a New Child in Your Family

You must report the new child within 10 business days of the child’s birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody.  Documentation may be required.

  1. Complete form P-35 "Adding a Child to Your Household"
  2. Complete form P-38 "Declaration of Citizenship or Eligible Immigration Status" for the child to be added.
  3. Provide a copy of the birth record or custody/adoption/foster care documentation 
  4. Provide copy of the social security card or SSN recertification

If You Add a New Adult to Your Household

Please contact Home Forward’s Section 8 office at (503) 802-8333, option 4 to request to add an adult. After we receive your request, and the packet of completed required documents, we will see if the person that you want to add meets eligibility requirements. We will also contact your landlord to see if they will approve adding this person to your lease. We will then mail you a letter to set up an appointment to meet with your Service Coordinator to complete the process to add the adult to your household.

The Add Adult packet of required documents includes: